You see this is what happens you take up challenges from Twitter. It was suggested by Laural and Gary that it would be handy to have a map of all the Australian Meraki nodes – of course being a stickler for a challenge, I duly accepted. Unbeknownst to me, the challenge was also being accepted on the other side of the Nullabor, but Ajay. Although an interstate game of “Who can build a Google Map mash-up in the fastest time” sounded like fun, we decided to combine our powers for good and not evil.
And so http://icanhazmerki.net was born.
Using the Public API that the Merkai website has we have been able to know up a quick mashup. So some instructions:
- You need a Meraki (Go figure)
- You need an OpenID account
- Go to http://account.meraki.com and login using the email address and password you used when you set the merakis up
- Click the Configure tab
- Click the Advanced Link
- Find the Public API section – select either Most or All from the Radio buttons.
- Click “What is this?” – make note of the API URL (Looks like http://public.meraki.com/network/[username]/api)
- Click Save Changes
- Go to http://icanhazmeraki.net and click login
- Enter your OpenID URL – then register
- Click “Add/Edit network”
- Paste in the API URL
- Hit Save
- Add salt to taste
Enjoy! A big thanks to Ajay for his front-end wizardy and hosting donation – was much fun working with him – the man needs to sleep :)